[Mpi-forum] Integrating parallel and serial code

Richard Treumann treumann at us.ibm.com
Mon Jul 12 16:21:33 CDT 2010

This reflector is for discussion of the MPI Standard. The Forum is working
on extending the standard and this is part of how we communicate. It is
not a user question list.

The simple answer is that MPI execute several distinct copies of a program
and provides the tools to let the program author break up the work over
these several copies. The program author breaks up the work into many
pieces and uses MPI to move data among the several pieces.

There are many MPI Tutorial on the Web and you should probably begin
there.

Dick Treumann  -  MPI Team
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Dept X2ZA / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Tele (845) 433-7846         Fax (845) 433-8363