[Mpi-forum] MPI_Abort - meaning

Richard Treumann treumann at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 5 12:45:00 CDT 2010

I should add to my mention of MPI_Quit that I am not at all confident that
a clean & portable semantic is possible.

I am not suggesting anything that provides subset synchronizations or
application notifications. No promise of message delivery among other
tasks.  No promise that other tasks reach a standards defined state before
being ended.

If MPI_Quit means anything more than a promise by libmpi that all tasks
will be terminated and all resources recovered, it becomes a much more
difficult problem.

A call to MPI_Quit would let the application give a return code of 0 so a
script or wrapper that checks the mpiexec return code would regard the
application as a success.

Dick Treumann  -  MPI Team
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Dept X2ZA / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Tele (845) 433-7846         Fax (845) 433-8363