[Mpi-forum] Final call: user survey

Richard Treumann treumann at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 18 13:10:35 CST 2009

Given these 2 statements:

I expect to be able to upgrade to an MPI-3 implementation and still be able
to run my legacy MPI applications *without recompiling*.
I expect to be able to upgrade to an MPI-3 implementation and only need to
recompile my legacy MPI applications *with no source code changes*.

If I have said "Strongly agree" on the first because I think breaking
binary compatibility is intolerable, do I "Strongly disagree" or "Strongly
agree" with the second?

How much are each of the following sets of MPI functionality used in your
MPI applications?

should distinguish between multiple compute threads with one thread making
MPI calls vs multiple threads expecting good performance from concurrent
MPI calls.

It would be really good to know how may people would be happy to use
MPI_THREAD_FUNNELED with one MPI task per OSI (node) but reluctantly do
more complex things because an MPI call on a single thread does not give
them full utilization of the network resources.

          Dick

Dick Treumann  -  MPI Team
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Dept X2ZA / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Tele (845) 433-7846         Fax (845) 433-8363