[Mpi-forum] MPI user survey

Richard Treumann treumann at us.ibm.com
Mon Nov 16 07:15:24 CST 2009

I did not see this until Monday morning but here are some late comments.

                Dick

How do you plan to give a reasonable range of stake holders a chance to
understand the questions and provide their answers?

ISVs or "closed source product" providers should be queried. They need to
deal with their customers who are delivered an MPI 3

Buyers of closed source products are stake holders in this issue. If I am
using an MPI based product in my business, how do I feel about needing to
buy and validate new software when my MPI provider says his new release
breaks my production software?

Providers of MPI implementations may want to think about the implications
of an influential customer saying "Ship MPI 3 if you want to but to keep my
business you must also keep shipping and supporting the MPI 2.2 that my
apps still use.

Typical number of tasks in an MPI job may not be very informative.  The
question should (also?) try to get at:

  1) What is the largest job you tend run today and consider important (vs
something run but not critical to the mission / business)
  2) What number of tasks do you anticipate wanting to run (and consider
important) within the next few years?

I do not see anything clearly addressing the question of "How many cores.
CPUs. PEs (whatever term) would you hope/expect to be able to apply to your
largest problems?" Much of the hybrid discussion is about solving problems
with so many PEs that MPI cannot scale to enough tasks.  It seems likely to
me that someone may want to use a million processing elements and that MPI
will never scale well to a million tasks.

I assume question with the check boxes is asking about "error handlers".
It refers to "error handles"

http://mpi-forum.questionpro.com/akira/TakeSurvey;jsessionid=dcaTO_iOlMbIqcQeW98ts

I do not know what this question means.

MPI one-sided communication performance is more important to me than
supporting a rich remote memory access (RMA) feature set.

Having been involved in several email discussions and knowing what is being
pressed, I can guess the desired answer.  We cannot legitimately make
decisions based on such an ambiguous question: What expectations of typical
MPI communication are included in "rich"? Is using any communicator except
MPI_COMM_WORLD part of "rich"? Is getting a non-MPI_SUCCESS return code for
an error part of rich?

"MPI application control of fault tolerance" -- sounds too easy. Who would
say no?  I would be happy to have MPI_Tolerate_faults( yes | no)

It would be helpful to be able to read the survey questions before starting
to answer.  I personally dislike answering a survey question without
knowing what all the questions are.  I must try to pick the best answer
even though  the question does not really fit my concern or I must ignore
my concern on the assumption a better targeted question must be on the
survey.  (I cannot count the number of times I have started to answer a
telephone survey only to say in the middle "We're done" because I have
deduced the survey questions will not really help capture my views")

                 Dick

Dick Treumann  -  MPI Team
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Dept X2ZA / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Tele (845) 433-7846         Fax (845) 433-8363