[Mpi-forum] MPI One-Sided Communication

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Fri Apr 24 19:24:27 CDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 04:37:46PM -0500, William Gropp wrote:

> One other thing that I'd like to remind everyone is that there's a
> difference between "MPI (the standard)" and "the performance of a
> particular MPI implementation".  These are all too often confused, and
> there are a lot of suboptimal MPI implementations of the MPI RMA
> routines out there.

I would certainly agree, and it would be a good thing if someone could
point out an especially good implementation. That would show everyone
else how well it could be done, and probably lead to improved RMA
implementations. It might take a new generation of hardware after that
before users begin to care, though. A very slow process.

-- greg