[Mpi-forum] MPI One-Sided Communication

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Fri Apr 24 16:37:46 CDT 2009

Thanks, Greg.

One other thing that I'd like to remind everyone is that there's a
difference between "MPI (the standard)" and "the performance of a
particular MPI implementation".  These are all too often confused, and
there are a lot of suboptimal MPI implementations of the MPI RMA
routines out there.  In particular, in most cases, if the asymptotic
bandwidth of MPI (whether it is send/recv or put) isn't as high as
some other approach, that almost always means that the MPI
implementation is doing something inefficient, not that "MPI" is
inefficient.  There was one vendor implementation, for example, that
made unnecessary buffer copies - that's not the fault of MPI, just an
unoptimized implementation.

Bill