[Mpi-forum] MPI debugging interface

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Mon Jun 16 12:49:15 CDT 2008

This message is directed to MPI tool authors and my fellow MPI
implementors.

I realize that this post is a little off-topic for this list (it does
not have to do with official MPI standards stuff), but it seemed a
good way to reach many MPI tool authors and implementors at once.

Open MPI has worked together with Allinea to extend the original
"TotalView MPI Debugger API" to include some new functionality:
returning meaningful information about MPI handles that can be
displayed in a user-friendly way.  For example, instead of just
displaying the value of the MPI_Comm variable "foo", show that it
represents that this process is rank 7 of 9 in that communicator, the
communicator is named "MPI_COMM_WORLD", ...etc.  We would like to
present this work to other MPI implementors and tool authors for wider
use.

If you are interested in participating in the discussion, please
contact me off-list.

Thanks, and we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Cisco Systems