[mpi-forum] MPI-3 Collectives Workgroup

Torsten Hoefler htor at cs.indiana.edu
Wed Feb 6 13:59:10 CST 2008

Dear MPI Forum,
we want to publically announce the MPI-3 Collectives workgroup. This
email will be the only mail regarding the workgroup that will be sent to
the MPI Forum mailinglist. All followup discussions should be directed
to the mpi3-coll [1] mailinglist.

The current topics of the workingroup include:
1) non-blocking collective operations
2) topological collective operations (associated with topological
   communicators)
3) sparse collective communication (extended definition of parnership
   relations and communicated data)
4) new collective operations (such as MPI_Reduce_scatter_block and
   MPI_Exscan_all proposed by Jesper)

Further topic proposals are welcome but we would like to see a full
proposal that is written MPI-like and can be discussed. Other
discussions might be held on the Mailinglist/Teleconferences/Wiki but
will not have proposal status (i.e., will not be presented to the full
Forum) unless the requirements mentioned above are achieved (and the
workgroup voted positively).

Policies: we use a simple majority straw-man vote per (registered)
attendee held online (note: those votes are not ratified by the
forum and will only be valid in the subgroup). Our proposals will only
be accepted by the MPI Forum if an open-source implementation is
available.

All proposals and votes will be documented in the Wiki (URL to be
defined).

Our first teleconference will be held on February 12th at noon EST. The
call-in number will be announced on the mailinglist.

Best Regards,
  Andrew Lumsdaine and Torsten Hoefler