[Mpi-forum] [Mpi-22] Another pre-preposal for MPI 2.2 or 3.0

Richard Treumann treumann at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 24 09:34:23 CDT 2008

Dick Treumann  -  MPI Team/TCEM
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Dept 0lva / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Tele (845) 433-7846         Fax (845) 433-8363

mpi-forum-bounces at lists.mpi-forum.org wrote on 04/24/2008 07:50:08 AM:

> Good points.  I'm also a little uncomfortable with just 32 attributes

There are situations in standardization where deciding 32 bits is enough
leads to very costly retrofit down the road because the implications of the
decision become pervasive.  IP addresses is a good example.

In this case, the cost of being too conservative is that some day the MPI
6.0 Forum (which I hope not to be working on) will need to define a new
MPI_Init call and deprecate the one that supports only 32 or 64 assertions.

I am hopeful that we will never go beyond a dozen of so assertions.