[Mpi-forum] MPI-3 pre-proposal

William Gropp wgropp at uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 15 08:03:52 CDT 2008

I think this is an interesting idea but it will be tricky to get it
right.  What must be avoided is any sort of standardization about the
details of the internals, for example, a way to find the "eager
threshold" assumes that there is such a thing and that it is stable
enough to be relevant.  Making this general enough to make sense in
the standard while avoiding mandating implementation decisions will
be challenging.

Bill

On Apr 14, 2008, at 3:48 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> I have a "pre-proposal" for the Forum, meaning that I have an idea but
> want to see if others find it valuable before spending the time to
> turn it into a formal proposal.
>
> The general idea is to create a flexible mechanism to both pass hints
> from the user application to the MPI implementation and to pass
> information from the MPI implementation back to the application.  Some
> rough ideas:
>
> - Allow hints to be passed from the app to the implementation on a
> per-
> handle basis (e.g., on a specific communicator)
> - Allow hints to be passed from the app to the implementation for all
> instances of a handle type (e.g., for all communicators)
> - Allow hints to be specified before MPI_INIT, or create another
> variant of MPI_INIT that allows passing hints
> - Create a mechanism for an MPI implementation to pass arbitrary
> information back to the user, perhaps in response to an arbitrary
> query (maybe something along the lines of an MPI_Info in and and
> MPI_Info out)
>
> Comments?
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> Cisco Systems

William Gropp
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign