[Mpi-comments] Use of MPI_DATATYPE_NULL

gilles at rist.or.jp gilles at rist.or.jp
Thu Dec 8 17:56:42 CST 2022

I have a different recollection.

The link is broken, here is one that works for me

https://lists.mpi-forum.org/pipermail/mpi-forum/2016-January/003152.html

TL;DR from Bill Gropp:

"The standard says that the null handles are invalid for input unless
explicitly permitted.  There’s no exemption for a datatype argument
where the associated count is zero."

IIRC there was no objection to updating the standard in order to allow
this, but unless this has been completed, I am afraid MPI_DATATYPE_NULL
is not a valid datatype here

Gilles