[Mpi-forum] MPI_DATATYPE_NULL when count=0

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 21:26:01 CST 2016

Is it allowed to communicate messages with
(buffer=NULL,count=0,type=MPI_DATATYPE_NULL)?

George thinks MPI_DATATYPE_NULL cannot be used even when count=0, which I
think is ridiculous, particularly when one makes the analogy to buffer=NULL.

See http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2016/01/28255.php for the
thread in question.

There is example code in MPI that uses this behavior.  George and I agree
that example text is non-normative, but I cannot imagine how this example
came to exist without the Forum believing it to be valid.

Jeff

--
Jeff Hammond
jeff.science at gmail.com