[Mpi-22] MPI-2.2 -- change ABI or not?

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at [hidden]
Tue Apr 7 08:29:23 CDT 2009

Hi,

Thanks. Let me add that there's quite vocal opposition to changing C++ ABI either.

Best regards.

Alexander

-----Original Message-----
From: mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden] [mailto:mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Jeff Squyres
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 1:19 PM
To: MPI 2.2
Subject: Re: [Mpi-22] MPI-2.2 -- change ABI or not?

Dick --

Following a round of discussion here in Chicago, there is general
consensus on your point.

The have decided to give a little leeway on the C++ bindings, though.
That is, the C++ ABI may change (e.g., it *has* changed between 2.0
and 2.1) because most MPI's implement the C++ layer as inline
functions and therefore don't usually affect the run-time ABI.

For example #59 will definitely change the ABI.  But right now, those
methods *won't compile* in the C++ bindings (because they are wrong),
so we can't possibly be breaking any real/user applications.

Cisco Systems