[Mpi-22] [MPI Forum] #59: Clarification on MPI::FILE_NULL, MPI::WIN_NULL and MPI::COMM_NULL

Erez Haba erezh at [hidden]
Sat Apr 4 13:47:33 CDT 2009

Its not always the choice of the MPI Application provider.
In many cases there's an upgrade path for the infrastructure (like upgrading from Windows Compute Cluster Server to the newer version of Windows HPC Server) that includes an upgrade to the MPI implementation, any already deployed application that is not compatible with the new version would break. That would be a blocker for an upgrade and an important scenario for us.

Another example is the impact on the application provider. Because of the release of the incompatible MPI 2.2 impl, the app provider has to re-ship an already shipped version of their app just to cope with the new installations of of MPI 2.2. (in those cases, yes, they don't ship the MPI implementation).

That said, I didn't see any commercial app that depends on the C++ bindings.

Thanks,
.Erez

-----Original Message-----
From: mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden] [mailto:mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Jeff Squyres
Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2009 6:54 AM
To: MPI 2.2
Subject: Re: [Mpi-22] [MPI Forum] #59: Clarification on MPI::FILE_NULL, MPI::WIN_NULL and MPI::COMM_NULL

Regardless of this point, note that the C++ bindings are *broken* in
MPI-2.1 with regards to #55.  You can't compile C++ MPI-2.1
applications that use MPI::FILE_NULL, MPI::WIN_NULL as specified in
#55, so the point may be moot for this ticket.

But the general point may need broad discussion next week -- have we
been sure to adhere to the "must be ABI compatible" rule for all
MPI-2.2 issues?

My $0.02: why would ISV's (or any MPI application provider) upgrade to
an MPI-2.2 implementation?  They would only upgrade if there are
features or bug fixes that they want.  They would not upgrade for the
sake of upgrading to 2.2.  In such cases, I think it's ok for any MPI
application developer (ISV or not) to re-compile.  Indeed, most ISV's
bundle/ship their own MPI implementation, so they tightly control the
MPI anyway.  If they don't want to upgrade to an MPI-2.2
implementation, they won't.

Cisco Systems