[Mpi-22] [MPI Forum] #59: Clarification on MPI::FILE_NULL, MPI::WIN_NULL and MPI::COMM_NULL

Erez Haba erezh at [hidden]
Fri Apr 3 14:58:06 CDT 2009

I think it's both;
Any compiled application that is running against any specific implementation does not have to recompile/rebuild to continue and run against an updated implementation that is compliant with MPI 2.2.
i.e., MPI 2.2 does not mandate any runtime incompatibility. An example for such incompatibility would be to for a change of the rank parameter from int to MPI_Aint.

Plus - any application that recompiles with the new MPI 2.2 headers should not incur any (new) compiler errors.

The first rule is significant to ISV's that release binary implementation. Without this requirement, MPI 2.2 would create a significant backward compatibility to those implementing.

Thanks,
.Erez
-----Original Message-----
From: mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden] [mailto:mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Jeff Squyres
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 11:07 AM
To: MPI Forum
Subject: Re: [Mpi-22] [MPI Forum] #59: Clarification on MPI::FILE_NULL, MPI::WIN_NULL and MPI::COMM_NULL

This is worth raising to the list.

What is the rule for 2.2 -- that existing MPI applications must be
able to run with no changes against an MPI-2.2 library?  Or is it that
existing MPI applications must be able to compile and run with no
source code changes against an MPI-2.2 implementation?

I hope it's the latter; this change is relatively important.

On Apr 3, 2009, at 5:56 AM, MPI Forum wrote:

> #59: Clarification on MPI::FILE_NULL, MPI::WIN_NULL and MPI::COMM_NULL
> -----------------------------------
> +----------------------------------------
> Reporter:  hubertritzdorf          |            Owner:  hubertritzdorf
>     Type:  Correction to standard  |           Status:  new
> Changes (by asupalov):
>
>  * cc: alexander.supalov_at_[hidden] (added)
>

> Comment:
>
>  Aren't we changing C++ ABI herewith? If so, we may want to postpone
> this
>  change till MPI-3.
>
> --
> Ticket URL: <https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/59#comment:33