[Mpi-22] [MPI Forum] #59: Clarification on MPI::FILE_NULL, MPI::WIN_NULL and MPI::COMM_NULL

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at [hidden]
Fri Apr 3 13:59:40 CDT 2009

Hi,

Thanks. AFAIK, the requirement is that the changes in MPI-2.2 should not break existing applications. I've always seen this as a semantic and an ABI constraint. If compile time changes are allowed, this may strongly delay adoption of the MPI-2.2 by the shrink-wrapped ISV applications. In any case, MPI-2.2 will have to offer substantially more new capabilities than the current set of tickets in order to make this change pay off. Don't forget about the ISV need for supporting many MPIs either. Some of them - both MPIs and applications - may prefer to stay in the 2.1 era to prevent forcing their customers to recompile.

Best regards.

Alexander

-----Original Message-----
From: mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden] [mailto:mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of William Gropp
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 8:48 PM
To: MPI 2.2
Subject: Re: [Mpi-22] [MPI Forum] #59: Clarification on MPI::FILE_NULL, MPI::WIN_NULL and MPI::COMM_NULL

I've viewed this as a source-code requirement - Applications require
no changes in their source code.  That permits requiring recompilation.

Bill

On Apr 3, 2009, at 1:06 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> This is worth raising to the list.
>
> What is the rule for 2.2 -- that existing MPI applications must be
> able to run with no changes against an MPI-2.2 library?  Or is it that
> existing MPI applications must be able to compile and run with no
> source code changes against an MPI-2.2 implementation?
>
> I hope it's the latter; this change is relatively important.
>

> On Apr 3, 2009, at 5:56 AM, MPI Forum wrote:
>
>> #59: Clarification on MPI::FILE_NULL, MPI::WIN_NULL and
>> MPI::COMM_NULL
>> -----------------------------------
>> +----------------------------------------
>> Reporter:  hubertritzdorf          |            Owner:
>> hubertritzdorf
>>    Type:  Correction to standard  |           Status:  new
>> Changes (by asupalov):
>>
>> * cc: alexander.supalov_at_[hidden] (added)
>>

>> Comment:
>>
>> Aren't we changing C++ ABI herewith? If so, we may want to postpone
>> this
>> change till MPI-3.
>>
>> --
>> Ticket URL: <https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/
>> 59#comment:33
>>>
>> MPI Forum <https://svn.mpi-forum.org/>
>> MPI Forum
>

> --
> Jeff Squyres
> Cisco Systems

William Gropp
Deputy Director for Research
Institute for Advanced Computing Applications and Technologies
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign