[Mpi-22] Higher-level languages proposal

Terry Dontje Terry.Dontje at [hidden]
Tue Oct 14 05:45:15 CDT 2008

Supalov, Alexander wrote:
> Dear Jeff,
>
> Unfortunately, I won't be in Chicago, so we should rather discuss this
> here. I talked to Torsten last time about this extension. As far as I
> can remember, the main purpose of this extension is to make sure that
> the thread that called the MPI_Probe also calls the MPI_Recv and gets
> the message matched by the aforementioned MPI_Probe.
>
> If so, the main problem here is not the matching. The main problem is
> that one cannot address threads in MPI. If we fix that, the proposed
> extension with the message handle and such will become superfluous.
>
> See what I mean?

Interesting, so you are basically redefining the MPI_Probe/Recv pair to
guarrantee a message to go to a specific thread.  Or in other words
lowering the proposal's MPI_Mprobe/recv to be in the implementation of
MPI_Probe/Recv.  This seems reasonable to me since MPI_Probe/Recv itself
is basically useless unless the programmer assures serialization when
that combination is used.

--td