[mpi-22] FW: [mpi-21] Proposal: MPI_OFFSET built-in type

Richard Graham rlgraham at [hidden]
Thu Jan 24 11:48:21 CST 2008

Do you think this should go into 2.2 or 3.0 ?  I ask not because the change
is large, but because it will change the signature of several interface
functions (presumably marking the older functions as deprecated - for
removal in X number of years).  There is another change that I would like to
see added to the standard, which is adding a way to convey information
between MPI_Alloc_mem() to the functions using this memory, w/o forcing the
implementations to try and use all sorts of non-portable solutions to figure
out if this memory can be used "as-is" by the network layer, of if it needs
to be "prepared" (pinned, and ?).

It seems prudent to combine such interface changes into the smallest number
of changes (1 is preferred).

What do you think ?
Rich