[Mpi-22] please review - add const keyword to the C bindings

Bronis R. de Supinski bronis at [hidden]
Sat Dec 6 12:49:45 CST 2008

Alexander:

Re:
> Thank you. Intel position on these issues has not changed a jot. We've
> been consistently against them from day 1, and consistently voted them
> down, for reasons I mentioned elsewhere.

OK, then I guess Intel voted against. You were
very much in the minority.

> The new memory remapping scenario that highlights how detrimental the
> proposed changes may be to the MPI implementations was added after the
> first vote because this occurred to me after substantial contemplation.
> This happens to all of us once in a while I guess.

My response is that your scenario is not significantly
different from the previous performance concerns. It
does not fundamentally change the discussion.

> In my opinion, continuing the work on wording is OK as long as the
> substance is OK. In this case, I believe the substance is not OK. This
> is why I'm suggesting to suspend the work on wording until we all agree
> that the matter is OK in principle.

Frankly, that you have confirmed Intel has previously
voted against the issue makes your position weaker.
You seem to want veto power but that is not how the
rules work. You have one vote as a member institution.
You lost the first round. You can continue to raise
your objections. Perhaps that will lead to a different
outcome for the second vote. However, you cannot veto
further progress prior to that vote.

> If you disagree, this will be your decision. I'm not going to be at the
> next meeting and am using the medium available to me to promote our
> point of view. I hope this is OK with the Forum at large.

I stated you have the right to state your opinion.
You do not have the right to order review of the
issues suspended. In fact, simply requesting it is
not appropriate.

Bronis