[Mpi-22] Previous messages

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at [hidden]
Tue Apr 15 12:27:37 CDT 2008

On Apr 15, 2008, at 12:40 PM, Richard Treumann wrote:
> I appreciate you being willing to do this work at all so I am
> reluctant to gripe.

No worries; it took me forever to get these up on the web (much longer
than I anticipated).  It's best when this is a useful mechanism for
all, so comments are appreciated.

> When I looked at MPI 2.2 I did not notice that the opaque
> directories are each a month, not a day. My mistake. I guess there
> is a trade off. If a list goes on for thousands of messages it is
> good to be able to filter by month.
>
> It does seem that finding the start of a thread can be hidden by
> this month by month structure. For example in Feb (http://lists.mpi-forum.org/mpi-22/2008/02/index.php
> ) there is a one item thread with title "Re: [mpi-22] FW: [mpi-21]
> Proposal: MPI_OFFSET built-in type ". Most of this thread was in the
> prior month but that is not visible if you come across it in Feb. If
> you find the thread in the prior month (Jan), the forward links are
> there and the Feb comment will be found but if you first find it in
> the 02 folder you do not see that there is prior discussion.

Yes, this is a definite trade-off.  The hope is that the advanced
search capabilities will make up for this tradeoff.  E.g., you can
search for "mpi_offset" in the subject, body, etc.

The advanced search is on the front page of every list.  The simple
search box in the top right will do a simple search and then take you
to the advanced search box.

> My real concern is about being able to find and follow a complete
> thread across its lifetime even if that lifetime is long or has big
> time gaps. It looks like following forward is there but finding the
> beginning or knowing you are not at the beginning can be more
> difficult. Is there a way to provide back links into prior months
> when using the thread view? Once we are doing MPI 3 and have threads
> that date back a year or more it could be more of a problem finding
> the whole thing.

FWIW, the archiver (software known as "hypermail") does do the back
links from individual messages.  For example, this message on the Open
MPI devel list:

     http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2008/04/3598.php

Was on April 1.  The "In reply to" link to the previous message was on
March 31:

     http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2008/03/3590.php

It's not quite as seamless as a uniform thread view that spans months,
but it does let you go backwards in time.

Do you have a better suggestion for a UI?  I'm assuming that the
hypermail designers felt that this was a good tradeoff between a
potentially-infinite thread / month view and being able to go
backwards in time.

Cisco Systems