[Mpi-22] Previous messages

Richard Treumann treumann at [hidden]
Tue Apr 15 11:40:48 CDT 2008

Thanks Jeff

I appreciate you being willing to do this work at all so I am reluctant to
gripe.

When I looked at MPI 2.2 I did not notice that the opaque directories are
each a month, not a day.  My mistake. I guess there is a trade off.  If a
list goes on for thousands of messages it is good to be able to filter by
month.

It does seem that finding the start of a thread can be hidden by this month
by month structure.  For example in Feb
(http://lists.mpi-forum.org/mpi-22/2008/02/index.php) there is a one item
thread with title "Re: [mpi-22] FW: [mpi-21] Proposal: MPI_OFFSET built-in
type ".  Most of this thread was in the prior month but that is not visible
if you come across it in Feb.  If you find the thread in the prior month
(Jan), the forward links are there and the Feb comment will be found but if
you first find it in the 02 folder you do not see that there is prior
discussion.

My real concern is about being able to find and follow a complete thread
across its lifetime even if that lifetime is long or has big time gaps.  It
looks like following forward is there but finding the beginning or knowing
you are not at the beginning can be more difficult. Is there a way to
provide back links into prior months when using the thread view? Once we
are doing MPI 3 and have threads that date back a year or more it could be
more of a problem finding the whole thing.

              Dick

Dick Treumann  -  MPI Team/TCEM
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Dept 0lva / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Tele (845) 433-7846         Fax (845) 433-8363

*