[Mpi-22] MPI 2.2 comments on 1 April document

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at [hidden]
Mon Apr 7 10:40:33 CDT 2008

While reviewing Rolf's April document, I came up with a list of MPI
2.2 issues that I thought I'd bring up:

Sections:

- Miscellaneous
- IO (long itemization)
- Language bindings

---------------------------------------

Based on 1 April 2008 document

Miscellaneous
=============

- We need to update the Fortran renferences throughout the document
(F90 -> F?03?).

IO chapter
==========

fh parameter should be IN (not INOUT)
- p381.5
- p381.44
- p384.31
- p387.6
- p394.6
- p394.31
- p395.31
- p396.22
- p397.27
- p398.2
- p398.25
- p399.2
- p400.2
- p400.22
- p402.18
- p402.40
- p403.15
- p403:36
- p404.33
- p405.8
- p405.38
- p409.2
- p409.22
- p409.38
- p410.9
- p410.25
- p410.43
- p411.10
- p411.28
- p412.2
- p412.20
- p423.39
- p424.37

C++ bindings functions should be const
- p381.14
- p382.4
- p384.39
- p387.24
- p393.19,21
- p393.44,46
- p394.23,25
- p394.48
- p395.2
- p395.25
- p395.48
- p396.36,38
- p397.42,45
- p398.17,19
- p398.39,42
- p399.17
- p400.17
- p400.32
- p401.11
- p401.35
- p402.32,35
- p403.7,9
- p403.29
- p404.3
- p404.48
- p405.2
- p405.23,25
- p405.48
- p408.22
- p408.37,38
- p409.18
- p409.32,33
- p410.4
- p410.19,20
- p410.38
- p411.4,5
- p411.23
- p411.38,39
- p412.15
- p412.30,31
- p424.1
- p424.44

Language bindings chapter
=========================

- p441.31-33: Replace entire paragraph with:

   "Constants    Constants are singleton objects and are declared
   const.  The only exception is MPI::BOTTOM, which cannot be const
   because it can be passed as a receive buffer argument, which is not
   const."

   >>> Need to fix various C++ binding methods to be const (e.g.,
       Set_name, Set_errhandler, etc.)
   >>> Same arguments I've raised for a while: all MPI predefined C++
       handles should be const except BOTTOM.  Short argument:
       - have to be able to use MPI::COMM_WORLD for initialization
         before MPI::Init, so they *are* const because they're
         initialized before main()
       - the "const" refers to the C++ handle, not the back-end MPI
object
       - the handle does not change (just like MPI_SEND where "comm"
         argument is IN and the method is const)

Cisco Systems