[Mpi-21] Review of MPI-2.1 combined document

Karl Feind kaf at [hidden]
Mon Mar 3 14:39:51 CST 2008

Rolf & others,

I have completed my review of Chapter 1 of the MPI 1 + 2 merging
document.

It looks pretty good.

I did notice two sentences on page 4, section 1.4, lines 13 and 14
that apply to MPT 1.2 but not to MPI 2.  This seems wrong in an MPI 2.1
standard document.  Can we delete the following two sentences from the
merged document?

        "Although no explicit support for threads is provided, the
        interface has been designed so as not to prejudice their use. With
        this version of MPI no support is provided for dynamic spawning
        of tasks."

If we do that, we could combine the sentence at line 11 about MIMD and
SPMD with the next paragraph that starts at line 15.  This is the sentence
I'm referring to:

        "The interface is suitable for use by fully general MIMD
        programs, as well as those written in the more restricted style
        of SPMD."

Karl Feind