[mpi-21] MPI 2.1 Abstract text

Erez Haba erezh at [hidden]
Fri Jan 18 11:12:52 CST 2008

Shouldn't the first paragraph use the 1.3 version? (rather than 1.1 or 1.2) E.g.,

This document describes the MPI standard version 2.1 in one
combined document. This document combines the content from the
previous standards "MPI: A Message-Passing Interface Standard,
<date>" (MPI-1.3) and "MPI-2: Extensions to the
Message-Passing Interface, July, 1997" (MPI-1.3 and MPI-2.0)
and errata documents from the MPI Forum.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-mpi-21_at_[hidden] [mailto:owner-mpi-21_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Bronis R. de Supinski
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 7:52 AM
To: Mailing list for discussion of MPI 2.1
Cc: mpi-21_at_[hidden]
Subject: Re: [mpi-21] MPI 2.1 Abstract text

Rolf:

Re:
> This is the currently proposed Abstract for MPI 2.1:

A couple minor editing suggestions:

This document describes the MPI standard version 2.1 in one
combined document. This document combines the content from the
previous standards "MPI: A Message-Passing Interface Standard,
June 12, 1995" (MPI-1.1) and "MPI-2: Extensions to the
Message-Passing Interface, July, 1997" (MPI-1.2 and MPI-2.0)
and errata documents from the MPI Forum.
The standard MPI-1.1 includes point-to-point message passing,
collective communications, group and communicator concepts,
process topologies,  environmental management, and a profiling
interface. Language bindings for C and Fortran are defined.
The MPI-1.2 chapter of the MPI-2 document contains clarifications
and corrections to the MPI-1.1 standard and defines MPI-1.2.
Together with corrections, these MPI-1 documents were combined
to MPI 1.3 (<data>, 2008) which was used as input for this document.
The second input is the MPI-2 part of the MPI-2 document, which
describes additions to the MPI-1 standard and defines the
MPI standard version 2.0. These include miscellaneous topics,
process creation and management, one-sided communications,
extended collective operations, external interfaces, I/O,
and additional language bindings (C++). Additional clarifications
and errata corrections to MPI-2.0 are also included.

I changed "book" to "document" for consistency, and added a
"The " and a comma needed for grammatical correctness.

Bronis