[Mpi-21] Chapter 5

Richard Treumann treumann at [hidden]
Tue Apr 8 18:46:27 CDT 2008

Rolf -

My attempt to check in the file did not work and since I am not familiar
with svn I did not try very long to debug the failure.  The file is
attached to this email.  If you can get it into the repository you have the
write token.

(See attached file: context.tex)

Chapter 5 - items needing Forum feedback (references are to April 1 draft)

1) 171:28-29  We point to a couple 15 year old papers to give background on
using MPI to write libraries.  It seems to me the concepts no longer
require this backup.  They have been around for long enough to be current
practice.  Is there a reason to keep the pointers?

2) 192:8-13 Bogus advise about just playing with the reference count to
implement MPI_COMM_DUP (I think Rolf has already captured this for MPI 2.2)

3) 202:31-35 The wierd suggestion that intercommunicator groups may not be
required to be disjoint should come out.  Everything else is pretty clear
that they ARE disjoint.  As far as I can see this statement falls into the
catagory of "We could have made a different choice when we wrote MPI-1".
The decision was made that the groups are disjoint so this editorial aside
should be removed.

4) The discussion of attribute caching needs significant rework.  It has
paragraphs from when only communicators supported caching and paragraphs
about adding caching support to windows and datatypes.  It should be
reworded to describe caching as it applies to all three object types and
explain who there is no WIN_DUP while there is a TYPE_DUP and a COMM_DUP.
(and therefore no attribute copy functions for windows.)

5) Jeff Squires has pointed out a need for explanation of the C++ clone
functions on 186:1-5 and to me it looks like a sentence or two from a C++
guru along with a pointer to section 13.1.7 would do. Perhaps add:
   Please see section ____ page ___ for further discussion about the C++
bindings for Dup() and Clone(). where ____ page ___ is a link to 13.1.7.
(I did not want to try to add a LaTex link so I did not do any of this
change)

The changes I have made are pretty straightforward.

                          Dick

Dick Treumann  -  MPI Team/TCEM
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Dept 0lva / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Tele (845) 433-7846         Fax (845) 433-8363

*