[Mpi-21] TODO - AUTHORS of MPI-2.1 - Workplan

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at [hidden]
Fri Apr 4 09:48:42 CDT 2008

About Chap. 13, especially C++.

I'm proposing (referencec to MPI-2.1 Draft Apr.1, 2008):

- The MPI-2 Forum decided to put only small overview stuff into
  Chap. 2 Terms.
  (I want to recall, that in MPI-2 the Terms are rewritten for whole MPI,
  i.e., still valid in MPI-2.1)
- The MPI-2 Forum decided to put all deeper information into
  extra sections of an additionally last chapter on Bindings.
- The MPI-2 Forum already decided that normal C++ bindings
  should be after the Fortran bindings.

- Terms, page 18, lines 36-39 clearly expresses, that all constants are
  given only in MPI_ notation and that C++ names (with MPI::)
  are given in Annex A.
  I.e., MPI_COMM_WORLD, MPI_FLOAT, MPI_PROC_NULL, ... should not
  to be translated everywhere in the chapters.
  Same for Table 3.2 on page 27.

- There are important things were C++ clearly differs from C,
  e.g. the handling of the Status.
  I have already added the Status handling, see page 31 lines 23-32.
  (By the way, this information was missing in Chap. 13.1 and only
  available in the Annex A.)

- I'm not aware, whether there are more such stuff, that is explained
  for C and Fortran and should be also explained for C++.
  Do you see an additional stuff like status?

- I do not expect that it would be a good idee to move all the ugly
  Fortran problems (17 pages) to the beginning of thee book into
  Chap. 2 Terms.
  I would recommend same rule for C++ (12 pages).
  Chap.2 terms has only 16 pages - with 2 pages dedicated to Fortran,
  1/2 page to C, and 3 pages to C++.

Best regards
Rolf

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 15:13:10 -0400
 Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Apr 3, 2008, at 12:09 PM, Rolf Rabenseifner wrote:
> > For me, the answer may have implications on how separate or
> > integrated additional bindings should be integrated into the
> > language independent text of the MPI standard.
>
> I don't quite understand.  All officially-supported language bindings
> should be listed consistently in the standard.  In MPI-2.1, for
> example, that means alongside the language neutral bindings in the
> text and in Annex A.

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 15:27:08 -0400