[Mpi-21] TODO - AUTHORS of MPI-2.1 - Workplan

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at [hidden]
Wed Apr 2 11:25:45 CDT 2008

Dear Bill, Tony, Rich, Adam, Dick, Jesper, George, David, Bronis,
     Rajeev, Jeff, and Alexander,

you are responsible for one ore more chapters of MPI-2.1 until the
meeting.

It is a tough schedule:
-----------------------

 * Tues, April 1, my ROUND ONE is finished and the write token is
         logically passed to all chapter authors:
          - You have read access to the source (via SVN) and the pdf.
          - You have write access to your local SVN copy.
          - You will get write access to the SVN in a few days.
 * Fri., April 11, chapter authors have finished ROUND TWO.
         - This is a hard deadline (because I've to go on travel)
 * Sat., April 12, I will produce mpi-report.pdf as basis for review
         (I cannot do later, because April 14-17, I'm on travel)
 * Mon.-Thu., April 14-17, strong review by the reviewer group
 * Fri., April 18, reviews - if necessary must be included -
         by the chapter authors
 * Sat., April 19, I will produce final mpi-report.pdf
         which is basis for
         - final reviews through the reviewer group
         - official reading at the April 28-30, 2008 meeting.
         (I cannot do later because I'm on travel April 20-26)

The goals of your work as chapter author:

- Remove references to MPI-1 and MPI-2.
- Substitute by MPI.
- Necessary modifications to achieve this goal.

With this, we should have a single MPI-2.1 standard that does
not "know" the MPI-1 or MPI-2 history of individual functions.

** This should be mainly a task in the area of chapter-introductions.
** Please, never change the wording of function definitions.

Exceptions:
- There are routines that are deprecated and that are
  already referenced in a consistent way.
  My recommendation:
   Current wording:
     There are *new* function, and existing are now deprecated.
   Proposal:
     There are functions, and there exist also deprecated functions
     with (nearly) same functionality but deprecated due to some lack
     in the bindings (or functionality)
- There is history information in the frontmatter.
- there is a change-log annex with limited memory (only previous version)

Technical editing rule:
-----------------------

You must identify all of your changes:

a) new/modified wording - you are highlighting your new/modified wording with:

\mpiiidotiMergeNEWforSINGLEbegin% MPI-2.1 round-two - begin of modification
.... your modified / new wording ....
\mpiiidotiMergeNEWforSINGLEendI% MPI-2.1 round-two - end of modification

b) Moved paragraphs, sentences, ... - you are highlighting the first word
   of the moved text with:

\mpiiidotiMergeNEWforSINGLEbegin% MPI-2.1 round-two - begin of text-move
First-word
\mpiiidotiMergeNEWforSINGLEendI% MPI-2.1 round-two - ongoing text-move
... rest of the moved text....
% MPI-2.1 round-two - end of text-move

Caution: These macros work only in black parts of the text.

In blue parts you must substitute
  \mpiiidotiMergeNEWforSINGLEendI%
by
  \mpiiidotiMergeNEWforSINGLEendII%

The highlighting is done with red color.
(There are only a few other sentences from me magenta.
 Therefore red should be the best to highlight the round-two modifications.)

Rsponsibilities:
----------------

 * Frontmatter        mpi-report.tex  Bill Gropp
 * Acknowledgements   credits.tex     Rich Graham(text) + Rolf(emails-auth.)
 * 1. Introduction    intro.tex       Bill Gropp
 - 2. Terms           terms-2.tex     Tony Skjellum
 * 3. Point-to-point  pt2pt.tex       Rich Graham
 * 4. Collectives     coll.tex        Adam Moody
 * 5. Groups, etc.    context.tex     Dick Treumann
 - 6. Toplogies       topol.tex       Jesper Traeff
 * 7. Environment     inquiry.tex     George Bosilca
 - 8. Miscellany      misc-2.tex      Jesper Traeff
 - 9. Process Crea... dynamic-2.tex   David Solt
 - 10. One-sided Comm one-sided-2.tex Jepser Traeff
 - 11. External Int.  ei-2.tex        Bronis de Supinski
 - 12. IO             io-2.tex        Rajeev Thakur
 - 13. Lang.Binding   binding-2.tex   Jeff Squyres
 - 14. Profiling      prof.tex        Bronis de Supinski
 - 15. Deprecated     deprecated.tex  Rolf Rabenseifner
 - Annex A Lang.Bind. appLang*.tex, MAKE-APPLANG Alexander Supalov
 - Annex B Change-log changes.tex     Rolf Rabenseifner
 - Bibliography       refs.bib        Bill Gropp
 - Index              MAKE-FUNC-INDEX Rolf Rabenseifner

Legende: - Chapter is mainly taken from MPI-1.1 or MPI-2.0,
           only small work expected
         * There was a significant merge, or new text, or ...,
           more work expected

I wish you a good start and good luck with your chapter.

Best regards
Rolf

Dr. Rolf Rabenseifner . . . . . . . . . .. email rabenseifner_at_[hidden]
Nobelstr. 19, D-70550 Stuttgart, Germany . (Office: Allmandring 30)