[Mpi-forum] MPI 4.1 RC GitHub Updates

Wes Bland work at wesbland.com
Mon Nov 6 09:46:54 CST 2023

Hi all,

Now that we’ve finished MPI 4.1, I’ve merged the mpi-41-rc branch back into the mpi-4.x branch and deleted the RC branch as it’s no longer needed. Before doing this, I changed the base branch for all remaining PRs on the mpi-41-rc branch to point to the mpi-4.x branch.

From this point forward, you may go back to using the mpi-4.x branch as the basis for your pull requests. For now, we will continue to use mpi-4.x and not mpi-5.x as we still only have one PR that’s been voted in for MPI 5.0 and it’s much simpler to hold off on merging that until we start getting more MPI 5.0 PRs done while we simultaneously work on MPI 4.2.

If you had an outstanding PR that was based on the RC branch, the GitHub pull request has a box at the top that says something like (using #943 as an example): "devreal wants to merge 1 commit into mpi-forum:mpi-4.x from devreal:mpi41-rma-gt”.

In this example, "mpi-forum:mpi-41-rc” is the base branch and "devreal:mpi41-rma-gt” is the target branch. I’ve changed all of the base branches to point to the right place. This doesn’t actually change anything in the Git repository, just the way GitHub shows it. That means that you shouldn’t need to do anything special on your end. The next time you want to update your PR, you can just rebase or merge as you would have before.

git fetch —all
git rebase mpi-forum/mpi-4.x

or

git fetch —all
git merge mpi-forum mpi-4.x

If you have any trouble, let me know and I’ll be happy to help.

I’ve also replaced the mpi-4.1 label with mpi-4.2 for all remaining open issues (unless it’s an errata for mpi-4.1), and I’ve closed the MPI 4.1 project board and moved everything over to MPI 4.2. We can discuss the scope of MPI 4.2 and MPI 5.0 at a future meeting to decide if some of this should be shifted around, but it’s a good landing spot for now.

Thanks,
Wes