[Mpi-forum] Ballots for July MPI Forum Meeting

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Thu Jun 29 08:31:59 CDT 2023

Dear Martin and all,

> Note: while #379 is for a 2 nd vote, this still needs some discussion whether we
> really want to do this or not – comments welcome!

The issue #379 with its PR https://github.com/mpi-forum/mpi-standard/pull/737
seems to be not ready for voting:

 - The PR 737 states
    [ X ] Check all chapters for potential changes
   but this is not true.
   The word "external" exists 172x in the MPI standard (current MPI-4.x).
   Several of them are related to external interfaces.

 - The PR 737 is reviewed only by one reviewer and it is unclear whether he checked
   all the 172 locations of "external". I expect not.

 - The already mergend issue #645, PR https://github.com/mpi-forum/mpi-standard/pull/767
   added new MPI procedures to section 13.3 "Associating Information with Status"
   which belongs to Chapter 13 "External Interfaces".
   The new routines are
    - MPI_Status_set_source,
    - MPI_Status_set_tag, and
    - MPI_Status_set_error.
   The corresponding get procedures are defined in Section 3.2.5.

   When I understand correctly, these routines are helpful when implementing
   a new language binding on top of the existing C binding, or for tools.

   The new chapter name would not fit to this section 13.3.

   This was already detected by Chhrisoph Niethammer, Feb 8, 2023, see
   https://github.com/mpi-forum/mpi-standard/pull/737#issuecomment-1422524685

Therefore, I recommend to withdraw this issue from the list for voting.

Best regards
Rolf