[Mpi-forum] has anyone ever implemented MPI for a 16-bit OS or x86 real mode or DOS?

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 02:52:18 CDT 2023

I am trying to figure if there is any justification for the continued
mention of segmented addressing in the standard.  Also, it is not clear to
me that we have ever had any implementation experience that gives us the
expertise to standardize features for it.

x86 real mode support was dropped in Windows 3.1.  Linux never supported it
because it was created for 386.  I cannot find any evidence that anyone has
ever supported MPI on a 286, or any operating system that supported 16-bit
real mode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherent_(operating_system) ran on 286 but
didn't support TCP/IP so it's not clear how MPI would have achieved
parallelism.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix was discontinued in
1987.  What operating system are we using as the reference for reasoning
about how MPI works on such systems?

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/document?repid=rep1&type=pdf&doi=06e491ccb3ce9747ae4754b8bdd8c249c3276733
has some relevant history.

Jeff