[Mpi-forum] C++ types inaccessible after #281

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 26 10:05:21 CDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 6:33 AM, Jeff Hammond <jhammond at alcf.anl.gov> wrote:

> So one issue to consider here is that std::complex is a template, not
> a single type.  One can presumably stick lots of types inside the
> brackets.

Good thing the C++ standards committee nipped that one in the bud:

*26.4*
*The effect of instantiating the template complex for any type other than
float, double, or long double is unspecified. The specializations
(3.9).*

> So the MPI Forum needs to figure out which of the existing C99 types
> that will work with this.  Do we support std::complex<long double>?
> How about std::complex<uint64_t>?

No

> My reference is http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/std/complex/complex/,
> btw.

As a standards guy, why not use a standard (or a final draft, which you can
have for free)?

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2011/n3242.pdf