[mpiwg-tools] Change-log questions about tools issues in MPI-4.1

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Thu Jun 29 09:51:07 CDT 2023

Dear Marc-Andre and all,

I just checked all MPI-4.1 issues and related pull requests, whether
 (1) they have,
 (2) they have not, but should have,
 (3) they should not have and have not
a change-log entry.

Problematic is category (2).

I detected the following Issues / PRs and sorted in (1-3):

(3) #160 PR-161  ERRATA: Clarify behavior for invalid MPI_T binding arguments
(1) #443 PR-754  LIS entries in MPI_T chapter not reflecting IN vs. INOUT as defined in Term 2.3 chapter
(3) #542 (PR-646) PR-795 #T Correct usage of the terms error and return codes in the tools chapter
(3) #601 PR-734  Tools - Code examples improperly marked
(3) #622 PR-734  Tools - Export "outcome is as if..." code fragments as proper examples
(3) #674 PR-796  Tools chapter uses non-standard wildcard-notation for function names

As far as I understand, only Issue #160 / PR-161 can be problematic:

Are you sure that #160 does not cause
 - that an implementor of an MPI library has to fix something, or
 - that a user of the tools interface has to modify something in her/his tool,
 - or a third party, like trainiers have to change there course material?

If there is no such risk, then it is okay to be quiet, i.e. not to provide a change-log entry.

I personally expect that there are no such risks and therefore the decision "no change-log" was correct.

What is your answer?

Best regards
Rolf