[mpiwg-tools] Questions for the tools community

John DelSignore John.DelSignore at roguewave.com
Fri Sep 6 05:56:33 CDT 2019

Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure I fully understand your question.

TotalView definitely supports F90/F95 array and pointer variables, which under the covers are implemented as some sort of descriptor object. The descriptor formats vary from platform to platform and compiler to compiler, but usually a descriptor consists of an lower bound, upper bound, stride, pointer to the data, and perhaps flags. The debug info (DWARF, STABS, etc.) also varies, so it can be complicated, but we handle the debug information such that the user sees the right data.

I'm not familiar with what you mean by "Fortran descriptors as choice buffers". I don't know much about Fortran 03/08 and I don't know if a "choice buffer" a Fortran thing or an MPI-specific Fortran thing. Googling the term seems to turn up hits that imply that it's an MPI/Fortran thing, but I'm not sure. A brief explanation would help. AFAICT, depending on what the compiler does with "Fortran descriptors as choice buffers", a tool that already supports Fortran descriptors might "just work", but without a concrete example I can't say for sure.

To answer your second question, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "intercept", but I'm fairly sure that TotalView does not intercept symbols as described in MPI-3.1 table 17.1.

Cheers, John D.