[mpiwg-tools] Meeting reminder: Jan 17, 2019 (today)

Marc-Andre Hermanns hermanns at jara.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Jan 18 04:29:28 CST 2019

Hi Martin,

The idea to allow these is that I would like Tools to only intercept a
few MPI calls (i.e., MPI_Init, MPI_Init_thread, MPI_Finalize) and be
fully functional.

This includes the possibility to allocate and free handles sometime in
the middle of the execution of an MPI programm. If only Init and
Finalize are intercepted tools would not have an opportunity of handle
allocation/deallocation before the end of the program (at Finalize).

Also discussed yesterday, we want to allow an implementation to return
a specific error code (MPI_T_ERR_NOT_ACCESSIBLE) to indicate that a
specific function may not be called at the time.

The idea behind this is that both allocation functions are
conceptionally non-blocking (as observed by the user). From the
standpoint of a user, an ALLOC behaves similar to an MPI_Isend +
MPI_Request_free, as the implementation will start to raise events for
the handle, yet does not really know when. The FREE is actually
explicitly non-blocking.

In summary, in most situations, handle allocation may be postponed
beyond the callback and offloaded to some other context. Still, if
even the postponing is not possible, the implementation can return
MPI_T_ERR_NOT_ACCESSIBLE in those cases (a tool may try again at a
later time/different callback context).

With this in mind. Do you think, we should extend the list of MPI_T
calls also to other allocation/free functions?

Cheers,
Marc-Andre

email: hermanns at jara.rwth-aachen.de