[mpiwg-tools] Tools topics meeting reminder: Jan 19, 2017

Martin Schulz schulzm at llnl.gov
Thu Jan 19 23:03:26 CST 2017

Hi all,

I was thinking about today’s discussion on the tools call and since I won’t be able to join in two weeks, I thought I’d send a follow-up to start a discussion:

I like Jeff’s ideas to provide cross-platform events that are keyed using a vendor ID (or sets of IDs). As Jeff mentioned, it would be cool to see common events in different MPIs if they are built on the same underlying layer.

Listing to the discussion today, though, I think this would face quite some controversy in the forum and makes the overall problem quite a bit bigger. Also, this functionality seems useful for control and performance variables, for the same reason, and hence it would be good to look for a solution that can also be retrofitted to these variables. A second set of get info calls that translate an MPI specific event/variable ID to a vendor ID could be one option (but just shooting off the hip right now).

I’d therefore suggest to separate the two issues - one ticket to add events in the style that we have already (which seems to be quite acceptable to the forum, at least there weren’t many negative comments) - and then a second ticket on adding vendor IDs to all three MPI_T concepts (again in the same style). This could help MPI_T events in its discussion in the forum and potentially get it passed sooner and it would give us consistency between the three MPI_T concepts.

What do you all think about this?

Thanks!

Martin