[mpiwg-tools] A random through for the debugging conversation

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Thu May 5 15:03:57 CDT 2016

Anh --

This may have already occurred to you, but I just had a thought: we should ensure that the design of MPIR-2 allows both tools/debuggers and MPI implementations to support both versions simultaneously.

E.g., Open MPI will need to support both MPIR-1 and MPIR-2 until all the debuggers support MPIR-2.

Likewise, debugger X will want to support both MPIR-1 and MPIR-2 until all MPI implementations support MPIR-2.

Meaning: we need to make sure that if any global symbols are shared between MPIR-1 and -2, they must be used either in identical ways, or will only be used / examined / etc. after the the version of MPIR has been negotiated between the MPI implementation and the tool.

jsquyres at cisco.com