[mpiwg-tools] Changes from Bordeaux to MPIR

Todd Gamblin tgamblin at llnl.gov
Fri Oct 9 09:35:28 CDT 2015

On 10/9/15, 6:57 AM, "mpiwg-tools on behalf of Bland, Wesley"
<mpiwg-tools-bounces at lists.mpi-forum.org on behalf of
wesley.bland at intel.com> wrote:

>I¹m not sure this solves part two of his question though. Once you accept
>the PR into the working group¹s copy of the MPIR doc, you now have an
>mpir-1.x branch that¹s out of sync with the main mpi-forum/mpir document.
>This means that you open a PR for
>mpiwg-tools/mpir/mpir-1.x:mpi-forum/mpir/mpir-1.x. This is fine until you
>have multiple tickets going at once and want to PR each of them
>individually.
>
>I was actually thinking that we¹d use the model that Marc-Andre
>suggested. Have working groups work on their ideas in a branch on their
>repositories, then PR from the WG repository to the mpi-forum repository.
>I know it¹s not exactly the GitHub model, but I don¹t know that the
>GitHub model is set up for the two-level system that we¹re working with.

I like Wesley's idea.  It's common for teams working closely together to
use a naming scheme for topic branches within a single repository, and to
do PR's *within* that repo.  So this could work, and it would preserve
topic branches for later piece-by-piece pushes into the mainline repo.

It sounds like we want to use PR's for approval of tools proposals, then
use PR's to submit them again to the mainline MPI repo.  Could you use a
local integration branch in the tools repo for this, e.g. consider the
following branches:

mpi-forum:
	master

mpi-tools-wg:
	master
	integration
	topic/mpi-plugins
	topic/proposal-2
	topic/proposal-3

Within the tools repo someone could easily submit a topic for review with
a PR, e.g.:

	PR: topic/mpi-plugins -> integration

That could be used to discuss and review the proposal.  Once the topic is
merged to integration, it can then be submitted upstream to master because
It's still nicely packaged in a branch:

	PR: mpi-tools-wg:topic/mpi-plugins -> mpi-forum:master

Then if it gets merged into the mainline, you just sync your fork's master
with the upstream master (common thing to do on github).  And you don't
have the problem of submitting a bunch of merged stuff into the upstream.

The integration branch and all the topic branches should be based on
master.  The integration branch itself can be transient, i.e. the tools WG
lead can rebuild it if some PR into upstream master is not accepted.
Anyone can check out the integration branch to see the current state of
all locally accepted tools proposals, but you never submit a PR from
mpi-tools-wg:integration to mpi-forum:master.  mpi-tools-wg:master is
always in sync with the upstream master.  You keep the original topic
branches around and use them as building blocks for PRs, until they're
merged to upstream master.

This is not unlike the way Kitware maintains the CMake repo, or the
branchy workflow described in the git manpages.

You can implement protections on some branches like this:

	https://github.com/blog/2051-protected-branches-and-required-status-checks

So that people besides the WG lead can't just clobber integration or
master.

Thoughts?

-Todd