[mpiwg-tools] Changes from Bordeaux to MPIR

Marc-Andre Hermanns hermanns at jara.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Oct 9 08:56:12 CDT 2015

Hi Jeff,

> I think Wesley and I didn't talk about this specific case, to be honest.
>
> (+Wesley)
>
> Wesley: got any good ideas here?  I.e., how does a working group
> manage a bunch of individual Forum tickets internally, and then
> push them up -- individually -- up to the main mpi-forum repo?
>
> I think it would be desirable for the working group to be able to
> make a PDF that represents all their collectively-agreed-upon PRs,
> but also be able to push those PRs individually up to the Forum
> (vs. pushing the entire union of all changes up to the Forum en
> masse).

I think it would be ok to pull something that passed the 2nd vote into
mpiwg-tools/mpir:mpir-1.x so new issues and branches can benefit from
the updated document/chapter.

So what about this workflow:

1. Member creates issue at mpiwg-tools/tools-issues

2. Member creates a branch off mpiwg-tools/mpir:mpir-1.x called

   issue_<issueno>_<issuename>

3. Member forks off mpiwg-tools/mpir (or rebases?)

4. Member makes changes to local fork and prepares a pull request from

   <username>/mpir:my_branch_that_handles_issue

   mpiwg-tools/mpir:issue_<issueno>_<issuename>

5. If WG feels OK with the pull request, we accept it and create a
pull-request of

   mpiwg-tools/mpir:issue_<issueno>_<issuename>

   against

   mpiwg-tools/mpir:mpir-1.x

and schedule reading + votes. If anything fails, reiterate from (3),
if it passes, mpiwg-tools merges the pull-request and the the
"working-group copy" of the document reflects all accepted changes.

6. WG then creates another pull-request from the same branch against

   mpi-forum/mpir:mpir-1.x

so they can be integrated into the _official_ document as soon as
whoever is responsible for it is OK with it.

We could also have a branch

   mpiwg-tools/mpir:ticket_zero

that collects _all_ ticket zero changes. This way, all the trivial
changes of missing commas etc. are in one pull-request and the others
can be done at a time.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Marc-Andre

--
Marc-Andre Hermanns
Jülich Aachen Research Alliance,

Schinkelstrasse 2
52062 Aachen
Germany

Phone: +49 2461 61 2509 | +49 241 80 24381
Fax: +49 2461 80 6 99753
www.jara.org/jara-hpc
email: hermanns at jara.rwth-aachen.de