[mpiwg-tools] Ticket 358

Marc-Andre Hermanns m.a.hermanns at grs-sim.de
Wed Feb 4 01:28:21 CST 2015

Hi Martin,

I see Rolf's point, although I am am unsure whether the initial wording
of the change in 453 is correct.

If you see it from the C perspective, declaration and definition are two
separate things. However, the standard only talks about declaration of
functions in the MPI_ namespace. That, IMHO, should never be allowed.
What should be allowed is to "define already declared functions in the
MPI_ namespace."

I am unsure whether Fortran also has this distinction. C/C++ certainly
has. If we now allow the _declaration_ of calls in the MPI_ namespace,
then it would allow me to define MPI_Whatever(), which I think should
still not be allowed.

Off the cuff, I would try to find a wording that goes along the lines of:

"... any redefined function in the MPI_ namespace must guarantee the
semantics defined in the standard, but is allowed to have additional
side effects".

This is too rough cut, still. Yet, what I want to express is that any
re-definition should not change the expected behavior of the call.

Examples:
- A non-blocking call should not suddenly block.
- A blocking call must still ensure that the user buffer can safely be
re-used after the call returns.
- A broadcast should still be a call where the source of the data is the
root and after completion all other processes have a copy of the root's
buffer. (and not suddenly implement a reduce).

This would still cover MPIEcho, because the additional MPI_Sends on the
slave processes can be regarded as side effects, right?. The application
still just sees the expected behavior of one message being sent from
process to process.

Cheers,
Marc-Andre

email: m.a.hermanns at grs-sim.de