[mpiwg-tools] Max string lengths

Marc-Andre Hermanns m.a.hermanns at grs-sim.de
Fri Oct 3 02:55:54 CDT 2014

Hi all,

at the call we discussed that tools would have call the info function
twice to make sure the name buffer is large enough to hold the full
variable name.

Couldn't we define additional constants, such as
MPI_T_PVAR_MAX_NAME_LEN, which indicate the maximum length a pvar name
(in this example) can have. Then a tools can choose to pay in time (with
two calls) or memory (with always allocating max memory) for a pvar name
buffer.

This way we don't have to change the calls, and might mitigate the pain.

Cheers,
Marc-Andre

PS: I would think this to be a different ticket. _Not_ 383 ... ;-)
--
Marc-Andre Hermanns
Jülich Aachen Research Alliance,

Schinkelstrasse 2