[mpiwg-tools] proposed text

Marc-Andre Hermanns m.a.hermanns at grs-sim.de
Thu Nov 20 08:00:13 CST 2014

Hi Kathryn,

you used the <foo>=MPI_T version right?

What do you think about this:

---o---o---o---o---
14.3.3

Several query functions of the MPI_T interface return information
encoded in C strings. A user of these query routines can influence the
concrete length of the output through INOUT length parameters to these
calls, potentially resulting in a truncated string. As the INOUT length
parameters are allowed to vary across different invocations of a call,
two strings returned by subsequent calls with varying length arguments
but otherwise identical arguments may not be identical as defined by the
result of the strcmp family of calls. However, they have to be
equivalent. In the scope of the MPI_T interface, two strings are
regarded equivalent, if any arbitrary combination of length arguments
result in the same string-prefix up to the smaller of the two lengths.

---o---o---o---o---

This goes back to Michael's initial idea of regarding "pairs of
strings". Again, some of my prose may be convoluted and I am open to any
revision. ;-)

And then we don't need the "MPI_T" string at all, as the equivalence is
all the "specialness" we want from our strings. Thus, we can then (at
those 6 places) just state: "parameters foo and bar have to be
equivalent as described in 14.3.3."

What do you think?

Cheers,
Marc-Andre