[mpiwg-tools] [MPIWG Fortran] Proposal: MPI_SIZEOF not profiled

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Fri May 16 10:24:36 CDT 2014

On May 16, 2014, at 11:14 AM, Rolf Rabenseifner <rabenseifner at hlrs.de> wrote:

> We need a correct expression telling that it is allowed to be
> not interceptable.
>
> MPI-3.0 wording: "as macro in C."
>  [does not tell anything about Fortran]

Per my other mail, I think we don't want to touch this in an errata.  Allowing WTICK/WTIME to be inlined in Fortran -- which I intentionally avoided in the original proposal -- is a new thing, and should wait until MPI-4.

My proposal was amended by your prior mail, but I do not like this "Maybe better proposal" you sent.

To be clear, here's what I'm currently proposing:

-----
An implementation is allowed to implement MPI_WTIME, MPI_WTICK, PMPI_WTIME, PMPI_WTICK, and the handle- ***and status-*** conversion functions (MPI_Group_f2c, etc.) in Section***s*** 17.2.4 ***and 17.2.5***, and no others, as macros in C
 ***or inlined in Fortran***.  ***MPI_SIZEOF may also be inlined.***

Advice to implementors. Implementors should document which routines are implemented as macros ***or otherwise inlined***. (End of advice to implementors.)

Advice to users. If these routines are implemented as macros ***or otherwise inlined***, they will not work with the MPI profiling interface. (End of advice to users.)
-----

and

-----
1. provide a mechanism through which all of the MPI defined functions, except those allowed as macros ***or otherwise inlined*** (See Section 2.6.4), may be accessed with a name shift.  This requires, in C and Fortran, an alternate entry point name, with the prefix PMPI_ for each MPI function in each provided language binding and language support method.  For routines implemented as macros ***or otherwise inlined***, it is still required that the PMPI_ version be supplied and work as expected, but it is not possible to replace at link time the MPI_ version with a user-defined version.
------

jsquyres at cisco.com