[mpiwg-tools] MPI_T names of variables

Michael Knobloch m.knobloch at fz-juelich.de
Fri Jan 10 09:58:41 CST 2014

Hi all,

as being participant in the initial discussion with Marc-Andre I'd like
to comment on that.

On 01/10/2014 04:27 PM, Martin Schulz wrote:
> Hi Marc-Andre,
>
> I always expected that if a variable named "foo" exists in two processes, it collects the same metric with the same semantics. When we wrote the paragraph we (or at least I) had in mind that the set of variables can be different (i.e., if "foo" exists on A, it does not have to exist on B) and the order can be different. Not sure if we can formalize this or if people would go along with it, but it would certainly be advantageous for the tools.

I understood the wording in the same way as Martin, but unfortunately
the advice to users doesn't say anything about semantics, so in a bad
implementation this could actually happen. Although I would have no
problem with having two names for the same information, as long as it is
consistent across all processes.

> However, having said that, I can actually envision scenarios where this would be hard to achieve. If you have a heterogeneous system (two architectures/networks or MPI bridging GPU and CPU) it may be a combination of two separate MPIs (with separate name spaces) or the same metric may have different meanings (similar to Flop counts having separate meanings on different architectures). I'd be curious to hear what our implementors think about that. In the homogeneous case, though, I would fully expect some consistency between processes.

Indeed, but here Marc-Andre's proposal with the realms could help (see
his mail from November 14th). We need some deterministic way to
determine which sets of processes offer the same information, otherwise
the MPI_T interface will be pretty hard to use by tools (at least in a
portable way).

-Michael

Michael Knobloch
Institute for Advanced Simulation (IAS)