[mpiwg-tools] ticket 405: MPI_CHAR as string

Marc-Andre Hermanns m.a.hermanns at grs-sim.de
Sat Feb 15 06:47:28 CST 2014

+1

I under stand the null-terminating character as "the character doing the
null termination". As only the null character can do that, the text is
clearer now.

Cheers,
Marc-Andre

On 15.02.14 13:42, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote:
> Sorry -- nit-picking on my own text:
>
> -----
> The use of the datatype MPI_CHAR in the MPI tool information interface implies a null-terminated character array, i.e., a string in the C language. If a variable has type MPI_CHAR, the value of the count parameter returned by MPI_T_CVAR_HANDLE_ALLOC and MPI_T_PVAR_HANDLE_ALLOC must be large enough to include any valid value, including its null-terminating character. The contents of returned MPI_CHAR arrays are only defined from index 0 through the location of the first null-terminating character.
> -----
>
> In the 2nd and 3rd sentence, we refer to the "null-terminating character".  Is that correct?  Isn't it just a "null character"?
>
> We use "null-terminated character array" in the first sentence, and that seems fine. But "null-terminated character" means "a character terminated by a null", which doesn't seem to make sense.
>
> In 14.3.3 ("Convention for Returning Strings"), we refer to the "null terminator" and "terminating null character").
>
> I therefore think we should slightly change the last 2 sentences to:
>
> -----
> The use of the datatype MPI_CHAR in the MPI tool information interface implies a null-terminated character array, i.e., a string in the C language. If a variable has type MPI_CHAR, the value of the count parameter returned by MPI_T_CVAR_HANDLE_ALLOC and MPI_T_PVAR_HANDLE_ALLOC must be large enough to include any valid value, including its ***terminating null*** character. The contents of returned MPI_CHAR arrays are only defined from index 0 through the location of the first ***null*** character.
> -----
>

> On Feb 14, 2014, at 6:16 PM, "Mohror, Kathryn" <mohror1 at llnl.gov> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the feedback. I have attached a new draft for this ticket and incorporated your changes. Please give me any additional comments by the start of business Monday.
>>
>> Kathryn
>>
>> On Feb 14, 2014, at 7:23 AM, Dave Goodell (dgoodell) <dgoodell at cisco.com> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 to almost everything that Jeff said.  My only quibble would be to change the last sentence in his text from:
>>>
>>> The contents of returned MPI_CHAR values are only defined from index 0 through the location of the first null-terminating character.

>>> The contents of returned MPI_CHAR ***arrays*** are only defined from index 0 through the location of the first null-terminating character.
>>>
>>> -Dave

>> Kathryn Mohror, kathryn at llnl.gov, http://scalability.llnl.gov/
>> Scalability Team @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA, USA
>>

>> <tools-3.pdf>_______________________________________________
>> mpiwg-tools mailing list
>> mpiwg-tools at lists.mpi-forum.org

Marc-Andre Hermanns
German Research School for
Simulation Sciences GmbH
c/o Laboratory for Parallel Programming
52062 Aachen | Germany

Tel +49 241 80 99753
Fax +49 241 80 6 99753
Web www.grs-sim.de

Members: Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH | RWTH Aachen University
Registered in the commercial register of the local court of
Düren (Amtsgericht Düren) under registration number HRB 5268
Registered office: Jülich
Executive board: Prof. Marek Behr, Ph.D | Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt