[mpiwg-tools] Per the QMPI/PMPI+1/whatever discussion yesterday

Martin Schulz schulzm at llnl.gov
Tue Dec 9 13:10:26 CST 2014

On 12/9/14, 8:38 AM, "Bland, Wesley B." <wbland at anl.gov> wrote:

>> On Dec 9, 2014, at 5:31 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)
>><jsquyres at cisco.com> wrote:
>>
>> This morning, I have a bunch of follow-on thoughts to the
>>QPMI/PMPI+1/whatever tools WG face-to-face discussion yesterday.  We
>>were all getting tired at the end, and I don't think we documented
>>everything well.  Here are my thoughts this morning, in no particular
>>order:
>>
>> 1. New names: QMPI_Tool_add / QMPI_Tool_get.  In general, using the
>>"QMPI_" prefix should be sufficient for distinguishing any new functions
>>we create here from both the PMPI_ world and from the MPI_T_ world.
>>E.g., even though the 2 names I propose here include the word "tool", I
>>think the QMPI_ prefix is sufficient to distinguish them from the MPI_T_
>>tool genre.
>
>Q* seems fine to me. I don¹t really care a lot about that end of the
>name, but I think perhaps the QMPI_Tool_get name isn¹t right anymore
>since we¹ve changed the definition of the function from the beginning of
>the discussion. Now that it¹s aimed at providing the tool(s) that is(are)
>initialized after MPI_Init, perhaps it should be something like
>QMPI_Tool_get_initialized().

Is this intended as temporary internal name or for the standard at the
end. For the former, it¹s fine, but I don¹t think it¹s a good idea to have
a special name space in the MPI standard. The forum already hated the idea
of MPIT and we had to change it to MPI_T. Also, most of these functions
are also intended for users, so why shouldn¹t they be normal MPI functions?

>> 2. Things we didn't document yesterday:
>>
>> - Need to decide a free-memory model for QMPI_Tool_get (i.e., how is
>>the argv that is returned via QMPI_Tool_get returned).
>> - Need to specify that the strings passed in to QMPI_Tool_add are safe
>>to be freed after QMPI_Tool_add returns (i.e., imply that the MPI
>>implementation will make a copy of the string if it needs it)
>> - Need Fortran bindings for the QMPI_* functions.
>> - In the union of fields passed to the tool-provided QMPI_multiplex
>>function for each, some functions will need to pass an enum to indicate
>>which MPI binding the intercept came from (e.g, C, mpif.h, use mpi, use
>>mpi_f08)

We should also talk more about the union type and should try to spell it
out for a few functions.

Another concern: we need to find a way to properly represent (and
distinguish) Fortran buffer descriptors.

>> - In all cases, the tool-provided QMPI_multiplex function will be
>>passed the C versions of MPI handles.  I.e., if a Fortran program calls
>>MPI_Send which ends up invoking a tool's QMPI_multiplex function, the
>>QMPI_multiplex function will receive C versions of the communicator and
>>datatype handles.
>>
>> 3. Random thought -- do we need QMPI_Control?  This would be analogous
>>to MPI_Control -- it would be used for communicating directly with
>>tools.  Its first argument could be a (const char*) that corresponds to
>>the strings that you get back from QMPI_Tool_get (i.e., allowing an app
>>to communicate with a specific tool).
>
>What is the benefit of having this in lieu of just having tool specific
>functions? If you (the application) know enough about the tool to know
>what to pass to QMPI_Control, why not just call a function directly from
>the tool¹s library?

We definitely need a QMPI_Qcontrol - two reasons: for one, some of the
information provided should be tool independent (where to start or stop
profiling or how to mark phases is application characteristics and not
tool specific); second, we need to be able to leave these annotations in
the code and be able to link the application without the tool. Only f the
tool is attached, the Qcontrol gets called. This could be as simple as
including the function in the list of wrappable functions.

>> 4. We haven't crisply laid out the goals for QMPI/PMPI+1/whatever.
>>That is -- to paraphrase Kathryn's sentiments from yesterday: how is
>>this interface *better* than the current PMPI world?  I think the goals
>>are:
>>
>> - Avoid relying on linker tricks (although this is kinda weak -- linker
>>tricks work just fine in many cases, and, indeed, we're not outlawing
>>linker tricks like LD_PRELOAD)
>> - Solve all language bindings issues (e.g., allow tools to be written
>>in C)
>> - *Eventually* allow supporting N tools simultaneously
>>  --> Although this is just the first step in supporting that eventual
>>goal

We conquered (I think?) the biggest problem we had with multiple tools,
the specification of which tools to load (this was the main reason why I
suggested to limit the proposal). I think the dependencies are easy, which
leaves ordering. Perhaps we should have at least some support for this
already in the proposal.

>> And again paraphrasing Kathryn (who was channeling Adam): given that
>>the plan is that MPI-4 won't support N simultaneous tools, are these
>>goals enough "better" than the current PMPI to be worth doing?
>>
>> I think we need a crisp, irrefutable answer for that question before
>>going before the entire Forum.
>
>This seems like a good start. We should also try not to disallow multiple
>tools as things are now. We can just stay that it¹s undefined behavior,
>and the implementation is free to support it if desired with random
>ordering (or something).

I agree - there is no reason not to support an ordered list of tools at
this point already.

Martin