[mpiwg-tools] Continuos counter / timer

Martin Schulz schulz6 at llnl.gov
Sat Sep 7 13:43:08 CDT 2013

Hi Junchoa,

That one we actually specified, although perhaps not in the best/easiest way. Before the table, the standard has the following statement:

The starting value is the value that is assigned to the variable the first time that it is used or whenever it is reset.

The starting value for a counter is defined as 0. Therefore, the first time you access it, it should return 0. Also, the value can and should return different values in different sessions (relative to when the counter was read first). The idea that we had is that each session maintains a base value that is subtracted from a continuous counter on each read.

Hope this make sense,

Martin