[Mpi3-tools] Tools WG webex: tomorrow!

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Fri Jun 28 03:09:34 CDT 2013

Jeff and Craig,

does the Tools Fortran wrapper include calls to the C f2c (and c2f)
function through a Fortran BIND(C) interface definition
that makes these functions callable from the Fortran written
tools wrappers?

If yes, then we should continue to think about including these
Fortran callable f2c (and c2f) functions as official
Fortran Interfaces into the MPI library,
because the BIND(C) Fortran interface for these functions
seems to me not portable if these C functions are implemented
as macros.

And for portable programming of calling the f2c functions,
we also Need types in Fortran that correspond to the C types
MPI_Comm, etc., i.e., the concept of the standardized constants
MPI_C_COMM_KIND, etc., to get the type definition
INTEGER(KIND=MPI_C_COMM_KIND) in Fortran as equivalent to
MPI_Comm in C.

To minimize the tools' instrumentation overhead, such
conversions should be possible as macros, especially
if the conversion is the identity.
Implementing such in Fortran functions inside of
a Fortran module (i.e., with CONTAINS), allows that
the Compiler is inlining the conversion and removing it
in the case of the identity function.

Best regards
Rolf