[Mpi3-tools] Boolean type?

Kathryn Mohror kathryn at llnl.gov
Thu Jul 25 16:34:38 CDT 2013

Hi all,

I was asked: "Would it be possible to add MPI_C_BOOL as a valid type for the MPI tool interface? I have a number of boolean values I am exposing as MPI_INT right now. They are control variables that can be turned on or off. The underlying storage for these variables is bool."

He argues that the tool is not missing information if the MPI implementation provides a enumerator that has two values 0: false, and 1:true. Otherwise the tool has an MPI_INT that for some reason won't accept any value other than 1 or 0. The Open MPI trunk does supply an enumerator.

As we discussed today, we want to limit the number of types that a tool has to check for. However, are we losing something by not having this type?

Kathryn
Kathryn Mohror, kathryn at llnl.gov, http://people.llnl.gov/mohror1
CASC @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA, USA