[mpiwg-tools] pvar attribute questions

Mohror, Kathryn mohror1 at llnl.gov
Fri Aug 30 17:53:10 CDT 2013

Adding Martin's comment since he can't post currently.

BTW, I could not understand why a pvar may be writable (i.e., not readonly) from the user?  Could someone give me an example.

You may want to reset the variable to its starting value so that you can measure it during a specific time period. I can't think of an example off the top of my head for using pvar_write on a variable. (Maybe setting to 0?) If I remember right, we included it for generality. If you don't want to allow a tool to write to a variable, you can just return MPI_T_ERR_PVAR_NO_WRITE.

Actually, high watermarks could be a great example here: it would actually be interesting to measure the high watermark of resources like UMQ between two MPI calls. For this you would have to reset (i.e., write) the counter after every MPI call and then you can just read it before every call. The counter could still be continuous, though.

Martin

Kathryn