[mpiwg-tools] Tools WG webex tomorrow!

Kathryn Mohror kathryn at llnl.gov
Mon Aug 26 18:09:40 CDT 2013

>>> Also for PVAR start, what if there are no handles associated with a session and MPI_T_PVAR_ALL_HANDLES is used?  Do we return SUCCESS or ERR_PVAR_NO_STARTSTOP?
>>
>> Hm. I think this is a separate ticket, yes? And I would think returning the error code would be more helpful than success. However, I can see the other side too, that success makes sense, since nothing erroneous actually happened.
>
> Here is what the text says:
>
> If the constant MPI_T_PVAR_ALL_HANDLES is passed in handle, the MPI implementation attempts to start all variables within the session identified by the parameter session for which handles have been allocated.
>
> For me this reads as returning SUCCESS since all variables, which had handles allocated, have been reset. Granted, we could be more explicit.
>
> (the same applies to stop and reset as well)

I am now on the SUCCESS side of the fence. Does it need to be clarified as an errata? I would suggest (from 3.0 clean doc):

page 580, line 41:
In this case, the routine returns MPI_SUCCESS if all variables are started successfully, otherwise MPI_T_ERR_PVAR_NO_STARTSTOP is returned. MPI_SUCCESS is also returned if no handles are valid for session and MPI_T_PVAR_ALL_HANDLES is passed in handle.

Same for 581, line 13 and page 582, line 25.

Kathryn Mohror, kathryn at llnl.gov, http://people.llnl.gov/mohror1
CASC @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA, USA